- 6 small red or white potatoes
- 2 medium eggplants
- 2 lbs ground beef, pork or lamb
- 1 large red onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 14oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 c tomato paste plus 2 T water
- 1 T sugar
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 c Harvest Harrissa Olive Oil
- 2 T Harvest Apricot Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 T fresh oregano
- optional: 1/4 c chopped dried apricots
- 3.5 c whole milk
- 3/4 c Harvest Butter Olive Oil
- 3/4 c flour (you can also use gluten free flour)
- 1 c grated cheese- I use a mix of feta, mozzarella, fresh or aged asiago,
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 egg yolks
- extra cheese to sprinkle on top
Egg plant and Potatoes
Slice egg plant and potatoes on a mandolin with the thicker slice setting- you want slices thin but not paper thin like in scalloped potatoes. Salt the eggplant slices and set in a colander to drain. Meanwhile preheat oven to 375. After about 15-20 minutes rinse egg plant. Roast eggplants and potatoes in oven until tender with a light coat of unflavored olive oil.
In a large skillet, heat oil and brown the meat. Add in onions, garlic and tomato paste. Mix in and then stir in the wine and sugar. Let cook for about 10 minute s and then add in remaining ingredients. Set to simmer and cook until most of liquid has evaporated.
Salt and adjust seasoning to taste.
In a medium saucepan, heat oil and whisk in flour. Slowly pour in milk while whisking to avoid clumps. Stir in salt and nutmeg and cheese. Adjust salt to taste. Stir in egg yolks.
layer of olive oil. Layer eggplants and potatoes and cover with a layer of meat mixture, repeat with more eggplant and potatoes and meat. Pour béchamel on top and sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 375 for about an hour and then let rest for at least 30 minutes before serving.