Wild Rice Stuffed Squash
- Wild Rice- amount depend on the number of squash, plan 1c rice per squash
- chopped walnuts, 1/3c per squash
- cranberries, 1/4 c per squash
- 1/2 onion diced per squash
- 1 clove garlic minced per squash
- 1 stalk celery per squash
- 1/3c mushrooms diced per squash
- fresh or dried sage and rosemary to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Harvest Wild Mushroom and Sage and Harvest Truffle Oil to taste
- Optional: asiago cheese for topping
- Optional: sausage
The amount of each ingredient is not exact and does depend on the top of squash and size of squash that you use. Roast your squash whole until tender and remove and slice in half and remove seeds. Place back in oven on a cookie sheet and drizzle with wild mushroom and sage olive oil and continue baking until all parts of the meat of the squash is the same color. I bake my squash at 400 degrees. Baking before slicing avoids the challenge of cutting a raw winter squash.
Meanwhile, cook your wild rice according the package instructions. In a large skillet, heat olive oil and sauté the onions, garlic and celery until tender. Add in mushrooms, nuts and cranberries and herbs and cook for a few more minutes. Mix in rice and salt and pepper to taste. Adjust amounts of all ingredients to fit your palate. Mix in sausage if you wish.
Fill the squash halves and top with cheese. Bake until cheese is melted. If you aren't topping with cheese and the squash and rice mixture are hot, then you don't need to bake anymore. Drizzle with truffle oil and serve hot.