Apple Pie plus Crust and Pocket Pies
- 2 1/2 c flour
- 2 sticks cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp salt
- ~6 T cold water
- ~7 c thinly sliced apples
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1/4 c honey
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 c flour
- 1 T butter
- optional: 1 tsp cardamom
- Mix together flour and salt and work in butter. You want the butter pretty much completely worked into the flour, so only small pebbles are visible. Add in the water, 2 T at a time until dough forms. Divide the dough in two and set aside or chill until needed.
- Mix together all ingredients in a large bowl
Rolling the Dough
- Roll out the two pieces of dough into a circle to fit into a buttered and floured pie tin. Lay one piece into the tin and cut off excess dough.
- Layer the apple mixture into the pie tin and break apart the 1 T of butter to sprinkle on top of the mixture before laying down the top layer of dough. Cut a slit or design into the crust and brush with an egg white (optional) and bake for about 40-50 minutes. Let cool and enjoy!
To Make Pocket Pies
- Roll dough out into a rectangle and cut into squares. Place pie filling in the middle and fold over to create a triangle. Seal the edges with a fork and brush with an egg wash and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Bake for about 20 minutes until dough is golden brown.