Basic Hummus Recipe
- Food processor or blender or immersion blender
- 1 can garbanzo/chick peas
- 1 lemon or 1/4c lemon juice or packets of tru lemon with water, lime juice- this is a source of the acidity to the hummus- feel free to get creative
- 1 clove garlic- fresh or ground- use what you have and adjust to your preference.
- 1/4-1/3 c tahini (you can leave this out and simply make a chickpea dip). Adjust to your own preference.
- 1/2-1 tsp cumin- gives depth and warmth to the hummus
- 3T olive oil- you can adjust down to 2 or up to 4- if you want to thin the hummus out or keep it thicker
- 2T water or reserved liquid from can of beans, adjust for thinner or thicker hummus
- salt to taste
- Any additional ingredients, herbs and spices
- Blend tahini and lemon juice (or substitute) in a food processor. Add in chickpeas, garlic and cumin. Blend. Add in olive oil and water until you get desired consistency and then salt to taste.