Granola balls and granola/muesli mix- Sweet and Salty Chocolate Coconut
This recipe is set up to absorb new ingredients, survive without some, and change however your taste buds demand. The only thing I probably wouldn't sub out are the dates. They act as a dough to hold the other ingredients together. Have fun with this and make it your own! I do add raw cacao nibs at times for a little crunch and caffeine. Will post more about them in later chocolate posts.
- 2 cups rolled oats toasted lightly in oven
- 1 cup dates
- ~1/2-1 cup almonds chopped, or slivered blanched ones can also be toasted
- 1/4 cup raw honey or raw agave
- 1/4 cup almond butter or any nut butter
- 1 handful cranberries
- 1 handful unsweetend shredded coconut
- a few TBS raw cacao nibs optional
- a few TBS unsweetened cocoa powder
- a few shakes unrefined sea salt
- I toast the oats and almonds together just for a few minutes in the oven if I feel like it- not necessary
- Chop the dates up until they form a dough like consistency
- Mix oats, almonds, cranberries, cocoa powder, coconut, all dry ingredients that you plan on adding to the balls. Stir in the dates and if you have little helpers with clean hands let them start squishing everything together in the bowl.
- Heat up the nut butter (my favorite is my almond/pecan butter) and honey. Add to the mixture and stir until all dry ingredients are covered. Start forming into balls. I always do different sizes.
- I pour the remaining mixture into a jar and keep it in the fridge. I store the balls in the freezer or fridge.