Sourdough Bread Starter
- 2 large bowls
- 2 cups flour rye, spelt, organic whole wheat, einkorn
- 2 cups water
- 6 cups flour
- Paper towels/cheese cloth/dish towel non fuzzy
- In a large bowl combine the 2 cups flour with 2 cups water and mix well. Cover with either paper towels, cheese cloth or a small dish towel, secure so that flies and other bugs cannot get in.
For the next week, do the following daily
- Switch to a clean bowl, and add a fresh cup of flour and enough water to make a tomato bisque like consistency. Cover. Soon your starter will start bubbling and smelling like alcohol- that is a good thing! After about a week the start will stop bubbling. It's good to go at this point!
- Reserve 1 quart of starter and store in fridge. When you want to bake another batch of bread just add 1 cup of flour and more water to the original starter for a few days until you have about 2 quarts of starter.