Macaroons are on my list of the easiest cookies to make and unlike other recipes say to do, adding extra sugar is not necessary. Especially when you are making them the traditional french way with jam in the middle. Never use artificial food coloring when you can use beet powder or beet juice to color your frostings and baked goods. A great last minute Valentine treat!
Valentine Macaroon (Low sugar, GF)
- 1 can almond paste or 1 cup almond flour, 1/4 cup dehydrated cane juice or organic cane sugar- blended well in a food processor
- a handful of pecans
- 1- 2 egg whites
- beet powder optional
- 1 tsp vanilla optional
- 1/2-1 tsp almond extract
- Organic jam look for a brand with little added sugar and NO corn products
- Organic powdered sugar
In a food processor
- Break up the almond paste as you take it out of the can and blend well. Add beet powder until it gets to the color you want. the color will fade as you bake.
- Add 1 to 2 egg whites until the batter gets to a consistency that allows you to form into a ball. I usually end up using 1 1/2 egg whites-just depends on the size of your egg.
- On parchment paper place dough balls and then with a damp paper towel press gently down on the balls to flatten them into circles. Bake for ~13 minutes at 375. Cool. Make a sandwich with the jelly and sprinkle the sugar on top.