This animal cookie receipt is amazing. Let me tell you how I make these kid-friendly treats.
- 1 1/4 c flour plus 1/4 cup reserved for later
- 1/2 cup crushed oats or oat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 sticks butter soften
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg cardamon and all spice optional
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 -1 T cream or whole milk
- Use less milk for thicker glaze
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together in one bowl all dry ingredients (except sugar). In a separate bowl cream the butter and sugar. Add in egg, honey and vanilla and mix well. Combine well with dry ingredients and form into a disk. Cover dough in plastic wrap and chill for 1-2 hours or overnight. Split dough in two and cover in light coating of flour and roll out to 1/4-1/2 in thickness (thicker equals softer cookies) and cut out shapes with cookie cutters. Bake for ~8-10 minutes until just starting to turn golden in color. Allow to cool before frosting. You can also sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar before baking if you don't want to frost them.