I had the great pleasure of spending some time cooking with a young Type 1 diabetic the other night and come up with a recipe for a muffin that would work as a ‘free’ snack while including her favorite ingredients. We also worked on other “free” treats that I will be posting later. These muffins are perfect for her when she is hungry but her blood sugar level is too high for snacks with over 10 carbs. Coming in at just 3g carbs per mini muffin and lots of great fiber and protein, these muffins are gluten free, dairy free optional (substitute coconut oil for the butter) and delicious!
Banana Blueberry Almond Flour Muffins
- 2 bananas smashed with a fork or the hands of small children
- 1 egg beaten if you have access to pastured eggs then I highly recommend buying them
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup blueberries I used frozen organic blueberries because it's winter time and fresh blueberries are anything but local and cheap
- 3 T melted butter
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Optional: chopped nuts for the topping
- Preheat oven to 375
- Almond flour, baking powder and salt
In another bowl
- Mix together the rest of the ingredients
- Combine all together and place in muffin tins, add nut topping if you wish.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes for mini muffins.