Kale and Sausage Lasagna
Italian Seasoning Mix for sauce and sausage (you will need 2 batches, one for each)
- 1 T thyme
- 1 T basil
- 1 T garlic
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp fennel seed or half a bulb of fresh fennel finely chopped
- 2 tsp coarse sea salt
Ricotta Cheese and cheese mixture
- 1 gallon whole milk
- white vinegar
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2 eggs beaten
- 3 15oz cans tomato sauce
- 1 batch seasoning mix from above
- 1 T sugar
- 1 T Harvest Neapolitan Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 lbs ground pork
- 1 batch Italian seasoning mix
- 1 T tuscan herb olive oil
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- 1 box lasagna noodles or follow my recipe for hand rolled pasta and use about 5 eggs
Extra cheese for topping lasagna
- optional: shaved fennel bulb
preheat oven to 375
Ricotta Cheese Mixture
- In a large sauce pan heat the gallon of milk until just before simmering. Pour in a few T vinegar while staring to separate the curds from the when. If separation isn't obvious, add more vinegar. Stir in a tsp or so of salt. Let sit for 5 minutes. Drain curds in a strainer removing any extra liquid. Add to a medium size bowl along with mozzarella and eggs. Set aside.
- In a hot cast iron pan heat olive oil and brown ground pork with seasonings until cook through. Add in kale and cook until liquid is released and evaporates. Set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together the 3 cans of sauce, seasonings, balsamic and sugar. Set aside.
- Prepare noodles according to box instructions or my recipe for homemade noodles.
- In a large glass cooking dish, spoon a thin layer of sauce on the bottom. Then lay down a layer of noodles, then cheese mixture, then sausage and kale, then sauce, then noodles..etc. Finish with a layer of sauce on top of final layer of noodles and then a layer of sliced fresh fennel bulb and cheese. Bake for about 45 minutes or until cheese is golden brown. Let sit for at least 20 minutes to let ingredients finish cooking and liquid to be reabsorbed.