Thai Peanut Crab Cake plus basic crab cake
- 2 8 oz packages imitation crab ( you can use regular crab meat as well, canned salmon or tuna can work too)
- 1-2 tsp red thai curry paste, you can also use sriracha or a garlic chili paste… this is the source of heat in the recipe- so cayenne, paprika, red chili flakes- they all work too- but adjust measurements
- 1/2 tsp fish sauce- optional for thai flavor only
- 2 tsp sweet rice vinegar, you can sub in lemon juice, lime juice, red wine vinegar, white balsamic vinegar, white wine vinegar- mustard works too for non thai flavors
- 2 tsp soy sauce. worcestershire sauce can be added for non thai crab cakes.
- 1/3 c mayo, or make your own (I'll demo this in class)
- 2-3 tsp fresh ginger, you can use minced ginger in a jar, ground ginger if needed or add in another spice or herb for other flavors
- 1 T lemon or lime juice
- 2 tsp sugar or honey
- 1 T sesame oil, or omit
- 1/2 c chopped peanuts- or omit or sub other nuts-
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 bread crumbs, fresh or dried or blend up stale crackers. This amount will vary based on what you add to the base.
- 1/4 c finely chopped green onions-optional
- oil for frying- you want just about an 1in or so deep in the pan for shallow fry- or 2 in or you can bake them as well
Honey Ginger Sauce- plus variation.
- 2 tsp fresh ginger
- 1/4 c rice vinegar, or white wine vinegar, or lemon juice, this is your source of acidity you can also do half lime, half vinegar, half lemon… get creative
- 1 T honey- adjust to your sweetness desire
- 1 T sesame oil or olive oil
- salt- optional
- 1 tsp sriracha- optional for spice
Detailed description will be part of the class. You can view class video on FB.
Combine all ingredients except bread crumbs and egg. Taste the mixture (no raw ingredients) and adjust salt and spices and acidity. Then add in the egg- beating it into the mixture then add in bread crumbs, mixing until you can form a patty that holds it's shape.
Heat oil to about 350 degrees and fry the cakes for about 3 minuts per side- they should be golden brown. Or bake at 400 for about 15 minutes (flipping about halfway through)- you may want to add a little butter on top of each crab cake if baking.
serve with sauce on the side and with fresh herbs or micro greens on top of the crab cakes.